Monday, July 2, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading?


There's a new meme on the block, an offshot of that seasoned meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.     The newbie is called It's Monday! What are you reading? - from Picture Books to YA and it is hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.  The purpose is the same: to recap what you have read and/or reviewed and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week but with a focus on kidlit.

I have a number of books to read this week, some for this blog and others for different reasons.  First up is:

Shadow on the Mountain by Margi Preus

This is an ARC I received from the publisher and tells the story of a young boy in the Norwegian Resistance during WWII from the beginning of Norways's invasion and occupation by the Nazis to the end of the war.









The Other Half of Life by Kim Ablon Whitney

This is the story of an ill-fated ship carrying more that 900 German Jews to safety in Cuba in May 1939 seen through the eye of a 15 year old boy traveling alone.  It is based on a true story.









Double Dog Dare by Lisa Graff

Two fourth graders enter into a dare competition with each other and become bitter enemies unitl something changed all that and brings them together.  I am looking forward to reading this since I used to be a girl who enjoyed a dare sometimes a little too much when I was younger.







Glory Be by Augusta Scattergood

This is the story of Glory Be an 11 almost 12 year old girl living in Mississippi in 1964, at the height of the Civil Rights Movement, and how she becomes personally involved.  I have been wanting to read this ever since I read about it at The 3R's - Reading, 'Riting & Research






Shadow and Bone by Leight Bardugo

A magical fantasy novel about a girl who discovers she has a magical power that can save not only her best friend and crush, but also her once great country Ravka.  I have read there is a strong old Russia flavor to this book so I am looking forward to reading it.






The Little Yellow Bottle by Angèle Delaunois

The story of two boys living in a war-torn country who pick up a pretty yellow bottle while out playing only to discover it is an unexploded bomb dropped by plane by their country's enemy.

14 comments:

  1. I just finished The Lions of Little Rock, and Glory B. is next...it will be interesting to compare the two, both of which want in my classroom next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be interesting to compare these two books, both so well done and closely related. I read Glory B all day yesterday (convenient for staying out of the heat) and finished it - it was wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Shadow and Bone looks interesting. I love anything with a Russian flavor, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started Shadow and Bone and so far, so good. There's a definite Russian flavor that I like, too.

      Delete
  3. These all look like good ones. I have Glory Be & am looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up on some new ones to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory Be is so quietly wonderful, I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  4. This history buff loves the sound of those first two books. Have you read The Lions of Little Rock? Glory Be is high up in my TBR. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadow on the Mountain and The Other Half of Life are really excellent historical fiction novels. I have read The LIons of Little Rock and loved it, also Glory Be. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Two books I am looking forward to read are on your list- Glory B & Shadow and Bone- and I am glad to hear that they are good. The other historical fiction books look intriguing as well.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so far all the books I have listed have turned out to be really good - but then I love historical fiction. I am reading Shadow and Bone now, and it's pretty good so far.

      Delete
  6. I'm with Linda, these all look like good reads! The Yellow Bottle sounds intriguing, and a bit sad, that these are books that are written about our times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think The Little Yellow Bottle is a bit sad, but you are right, it is written about our times. Maybe that makes it even sadder having a bomb dropped where kids play. It made me think of Princess Diana and her interest in those injured by land mines.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these- but they all look fantastic. I have been wanting to read Shadow and Bone and Glory Be. Can't wait to hear what you think of all these books! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to your thoughts on Shadow and Bone. Ever since I've heard of it last week, I've wishlisted it. It somehow reminds me of the whole magical fantasy of Aladdin's world.

    ReplyDelete